Head of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
University of Kent is a leading academic institution: 97% of our research was judged to be of international quality in the Research Excellence Framework. We are proud of our values based on equality, diversity, respect and we value each other. International in outlook, we are distinctive amongst our peers with a strong European dimension in our academic activity.We aim to be a community that inspires students from a wide range of backgrounds to find and shape their place in the world, and where academics are free to explore and deepen our understanding of it.
The University is committed to fostering an environment where everyone can bring their whole selves to campus and flourish without the need to diminish whom they are or what they aspire to achieve. We believe that when people feel accepted, included and valued they are more engaged, work more collaboratively with others and deliver better outcomes for our staff and students and our Kent 2025 Strategy outlines the projects and key strategic initiatives that will ensure we deliver this.
Our recent EDI report highlights our achievements in bringing together staff and student community groups working across all protected characteristics and much progress has been made towards a more inclusive culture, however there is still much to do. We are now looking for our new permanent Head of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion to join us to help progress this agenda.Members of Kent's community have actively advocated for institutional level change in relation to EDI and there have been pockets of good practice across the University for many years, alongside very strong staff and student networks.
However, the need for a strategic direction to tackle issues of discrimination is clear and so the EDI governance and management framework has been reorganised to provide institutional accountability for ongoing change. This role represents a step change for the University of Kent to holistically approach challenges of structural marginalistion and to establish an institutional culture where every individual member of the community is responsible for creating an increasingly inclusive culture within their sphere of influence.
We are seeking someone with a breadth of experience developing and embedding an Equailty, Diversity and Inclusion strategy, ideally within large organisations and also with a broader cultural perspective that includes not only local communities but also national and internationally.
As Head of EDI, you will lead a large team of stakeholders, across a range of student, staff and partner interests, to deliver the strategic and operational priorities. A confident communication and influencer, you will raise the profile of EDI activity across the University of Kent, ensuring that plans are in place to achieve our goals in this area.
Some key deliverables
- Develop and maintain a high-level working relationship with senior leaders and colleagues across the University to prioritise issues relating to EDI.
- Lead and participate in cross-University projects related to EDI issues to ensure these deliver the required objectives.
- Oversee submission of applications for external recognition including e.g. Athena Swan, Race Equality Charter to enhance the University's reputation.
Ideally, you will bring
- A degree in a relevant field, or equivalent qualification or experience.
- Demonstrable leadership experience in EDI development activities concerning to the full range of protected characteristics, having successfully implemented and delivered EDI projects.
- Substantial working knowledge of current legislation and good practise relating to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, including the provisions of the equality duty.
- An experienced people manager with demonstrable ability to lead and motivate the immediate team.
If you would like to know about this role, please get in touch with Rebecca Beardwell at Morgan Law, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.