Director of Finance
The University of Plymouth Students’ Union (UPSU) is an independent, value led charity that represents the needs of the students studying at the University of Plymouth. They support the wellbeing of every student and make sure students have a successful, fulfilling and rewarding time both at University and in the future. They do this through helping students to be empowered, learn and grow, be socially fulfilled, feel more financially secure and ensure students are supported and cared for.
UPSU has been on a journey investing heavily in consultation with our students, staff, trustees and the University to develop a new Strategic Plan. Using an integrated approach the following principles are at the core of every decision we now take and our aim is to create an exciting, vibrant and diverse working environment for all.
• To help create a sense of belonging in our student community
• To effectively represent the student voice
• To develop students mental and physical wellbeing
• To enable students to have fun
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Finance will be responsible for financial management and also take the lead on developing human resources. The Finance team is established but needs strategic direction and line management support. The HR function has been subject to a recent external review and needs someone to take the lead on putting it all in place.
As Director of Finance you will also be a member of our senior leadership team and expected to give financial support to the CEO and Board of Trustees on all financial aspects of the organisation.
To succeed in this role you will:
• Be a qualified accountant with substantial financial management experience including strategic planning, budgeting, statutory reporting, management accounts and ensuring adequate financial systems and controls are in place across the organisation
• Have excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrable experience of leading and engaging with finance and other corporate functions to develop a mature and rounded service
• Be a strong people person and leader, able to communicate well with your peers and team members and have resilience to adapt quickly to changing priorities from internal and external stakeholders
• Experience of working in a senior finance role in a charity or demonstrable knowledge of the charity SORP would be beneficial
• This role will also lead on all HR matters so experience in this area would be desirable but not essential
In return for your hard work and dedication you will enjoy a wide variety of benefits including:
• Salary package £48,000 - £52,000
• Flexible working
• 25 days annual leave plus all statutory and public holidays. This entitlement increases to 30 days after five years’ continuous service. 3 days additional leave are awarded at Christmas in line with UPSU’s shut down period.
• Access to charity worker discounts
For more information on this opportunity including a detailed job description and candidate pack, please contact Nicola Shaw our retained consultant on 07554 443 877 or to apply send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Closing date: 16th October
Interview date: 4th November on site in Plymouth