Head of Procurement
Brunel is based in Uxbridge and is a leading multidisciplinary research-intensive technology university delivering economic, social and cultural benefits. Home to more than 12,500 students, the University offers a full range of high-quality courses with an emphasis on developing practical skills that employers will value. The University has annual revenues of over £200 million and with strong cash balances is well placed to continue its ambitious plans for the future.
As the Head of Procurement you will play an important role in the continued development of the University, leading the Procurement and Accounts Payable functions with a non-pay operating budget of c £68M and a c £25M capital programme. You will be required to bring a strong blend of strategic, business and influencing skills, while improving current service levels and ensuring readiness for a new financial and procurement system due in 2018.
- Set the strategic direction of the Procurement and Payables functions, along with developing policies and procedures to ensure clear value for money (VfM)
- Lead varied procurement activities ensuring compliance especially with public procurement legislation
- Review staffing requirements for the department and provide leadership that encourages cross functional working and supports procurement professional development
- Manage the current Purchase to Pay system and oversee the current implementation of the procurement and payables elements of the new ERP system
- Provide professional direction, guidance and support on procurement matters such as OJEU and financial regulations to staff throughout the University
- Undertake a category management approach to procurement that operates across all major functions in the University, developing a tender pipeline and targeting savings.
- Identify key suppliers and develop a contract review process for key expenditure categories to guide improvements in the supply of good and services.
- Improve overall procurement performance, building an ethos of continuous improvement across the University
- Develop an annual and three year programme of VfM, including explicit financial savings targets and effective tendering plans
- Strengthen internal relationships between Procurement and key business stakeholders
- Detailed knowledge of public sector procurement, legislation and commercial contracts
- Commercially astute with a track record achieving VFM and savings from procurement
- Senior level experience in a complex procurement environment
- Strong negotiation skills with the ability to engage with and guide internal stakeholders
- Experience of Accounts Payables functions and the interaction with procurement
- Experience of managing and developing teams to improve performance
- CIPS Qualified
For more information or to apply for this role please contact James Knowling at Morgan Law on 0207 747 6827 or Email Brunel@morgan-law.com