Director of Children, Schools & Families
Merton’s vision is to be London’s Best Council. We are rightly proud of our recent Ofsted inspection of children’s services, which judged us to be Outstanding for our Leadership, Adoption and our Safeguarding Children Board. Our new Director will play a vital and influential role in guiding the Borough as well as ensuring continuous improvement across a diverse portfolio. You will be an exceptional leader, prepared to inspire and challenge. You will bring your passion to make children safer and to improve their educational outcomes and will have a track-record of successfully working at a senior level.
- To be professionally responsible and accountable for the effectiveness, availability and value for money of the Council’s statutory children’s services and functions
- To ensure the development, implementation and evaluation of strategies for the provision of service and support that are responsive to client needs and are sufficiently dynamic to respond to changes in governmental direction and legislative change
- To participate in the corporate management of the Authority and to contribute to the preparation of both short and medium term plans for the Authority in close co-operation with others as required
- To evaluate the performance of the Department against stated objectives, developing performance measures and ensuring feedback to staff on the department’s performance in meeting targets and objectives
- To ensure the development of a departmental organisational structure that meets changing service needs.
- Educated to degree level and/or full relevant professional qualification, with evidence of continuous professional development
- An understanding of the legislative framework governing the work of the department and issues impacting on service delivery within an urban, multi-cultural environment
- Ability to demonstrate a clear vision for the future for Local Authority children, schools & families and the challenges facing those services in the short and medium term
- Significant senior management experience in the provision of public sector children’s care and/or education services and contributing to corporate affairs
What’s on offer?
- A salary up to £137k
- 31 days annual leave
- Local Government Pension Scheme Membership
For more information about the role and what it’s like to work at the London Borough of Merton visit https://www.morgan-law.com/leadingmerton/.
To apply complete the online application.