The University of Portsmouth is at the heart of the city and has a strong commitment to the region. The University is one of only four institutions in the South East to receive the highest “Gold” rating in the Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework and was recognised in the Guardian University Guide 2018 as the 37th best University in the UK.
The University is engaged in a number of significant change projects including the early stages of a major investment in its overall Estate. This will include a number of new developments in the city, including an indoor sports centre and a flagship building to house the Faculties of Humanities and of Business and Law.
The University is looking for a Procurement Manager to support the University’s continuing success through leadership of the procurement function, where University annual expenditure on goods and services is approximately £65m. The successful candidate will ensure that a professional and responsive procurement service is delivered, delivering both cost benefits and full compliance with procurement legislation.
Key Responsibilities include:
- To set and implement the strategic direction of the procurement function
- To develop and lead an effective procurement team, working positively with individuals to maximise their contribution to the University
- To develop communication with customers to ensure their needs are fully understood and embedded within the procurement service model
- To promote awareness and understanding of the procurement function’s role and objectives across the University
- To manage complex procurement activities ensuring compliance of all tendering and contract award activities
- To lead on procurement strategies, delivering cost benefits in the sourcing of goods and services
- To ensure contracts provide value for money and manage supplier relationships successfully
The Person Specification includes:
- Detailed knowledge of public sector procurement guidelines, legislation and contract law
- Understanding of strategic procurement in a large complex organisation
- Strong negotiation skills and experience of managing and leading on complex tender projects
- Able to work in a collegiate and positive way with staff across a large organisation
- Proven people management skills, able to motivate staff
- CIPS Qualified
This opportunity is offered on a permanent, full-time basis with generous annual leave and automatic entitlement to the local government pension scheme.
For more information or to apply for this new position please contact James Knowling at Morgan Law on 0207 747 6827 or Email email@example.com