Senior Server Administrator, Linux
Morgan Law are proud to be partnering with the Carbon Disclosure Project to recruit an experienced Senior Server Administrator to join their cutting-edge IT Department. This is a specialist role that would suit a driven IT professional with excellent server experience in Linux and familiarity with Windows, looking to apply their skills to achieve meaningful and positive global change. Responsible for ensuring their server infrastructure runs smoothly and efficiently, this role is critical to their vision of a sustainable economy that works for both people and planet.
CDP is an international non-profit that drives companies and governments to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. Voted number one climate research provider by investors and working with institutional investors with assets of US$100 trillion, they leverage investor and buyer power to motivate companies to disclose and manage their environmental impacts. Over 6,300 companies with some 55% of global market capitalization disclosed environmental data through CDP in 2017. This is in addition to the over 500 cities and 100 states and regions who disclosed, making CDP’s platform one of the richest sources of information globally on how companies and governments are driving environmental change. Please visit www.cdp.net/ to find out more.
The IT Department aims to ensure that CDP’s mission and activities are well supported by effective, robust systems, which in particular support CDP’s position as the authoritative global platform for environmental transparency and accountability data.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that systems remain available, secure and perform well across both Linux and Windows stacks
- Taking a leading role in the planning and design of improvements to our server infrastructure
- Providing regular reporting to IT management on server capacity, availability and performance
- Working closely with our managed service provider, Rackspace, and improving our runbook with them to ensure that standard processes can be executed by their engineers
- Troubleshooting problems with the Software Engineering team and advising on improvements. Occasional out-of-hours maintenance work will be required to carry out authorized production and pre-production deployments to a high standard.
- Recruiting, supervising and mentoring a more junior systems administrator who is likely to have more Windows than Linux experience
Required skills and experience:
You will bring:
- 2-3 years’ experience in a similar role, supporting and enhancing production applications on cloud technologies
- Excellent knowledge of with Linux server administration, ideally including Centos
- Exposure to Windows administration and a willingness to gain experience in that environment
- Excellent knowledge of infrastructure automation and configuration management using tools like Jenkins, Chef, Puppet, Docker, Kubernetes etc.
- Detailed knowledge of TCP/IP, experience with networking and security concepts, implementation, and troubleshooting.
- Experience in monitoring tools, frameworks and processes, ideally including NewRelic
- Experience of formal release and change management, incident and problem management both from a technology and process perspective
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to troubleshoot to a high standard, even under pressure
- Excellent written and oral English
- A strong “team player” with a proven ability to collaborate effectively across a high-performing global team
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter setting out how you meet the required skills and experience and key responsibilities to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Senior Systems Administrator’ in the subject.
What’s on offer?
£45-55k per annum, annual discretionary bonus, 24 days’ holiday (increasing to 30), generous non-contributory pension provision, life assurance and other flexible benefits.