Head of Human Resources - Employee Experience
Redbridge (Greater London)
0207 747 4948
One Brilliant Team - For a changing Redbridge
Redbridge is changing. We are among the fastest growing parts of the country and the third most diverse London borough. Our communities are attracted by a mixture of excellent schools, affordable housing, high quality open spaces and rapid transport connections into the heart of the City. Our population is getting both younger and older - driving increased demand in both adults and children's services. A growing population has placed huge pressure on a housing stock built for a different era. The pace of change is phenomenal.
We have started to address our challenges by adopting a model for the council based on high ambition and high trust. Ambition, because we are the custodians of this precious part of East London: we care about its future and we want to get it right for our residents. Trust, because we believe in the ability of our staff and our communities to find ways to overcome new challenges and seize this once in a generation opportunity. At the heart of our approach is distributive leadership - a belief that we will get the best out of the resources at our disposal by pushing responsibility closer to the front line.
Head of Human Resources – Employee Experience
The HR Employee Experience Service plays a pivotal role in ensuring that the Council has a motivated workforce and to be an employer of choice.
Redbridge Council is looking for an experienced senior HR professional to develop and lead on the delivery of the HR strategy and workforce plan, ensuring that the workforce is appropriately engaged to improve the employee experience. The service has been recently restructured so there is plenty of opportunities to reshape HR services provided to the council and local communities to achieve tangible outcomes. Our Corporate Management Team are engaged and motivated to deliver a collaborative HR Strategy that involves our staff to continue giving their very best to our residents.
We are committed to supporting employees to achieve a good work-life balance by providing various opportunities to work flexibility. We welcome open conversations on how best we can achieve this to meet individual needs and strive to do so where possible. We are also committed to exploring development opportunities with our staff via the use of the apprenticeship levy and other creative training strategies to enhance the employee experience.
Reporting to the Corporate Director, Strategy, Change and Communication, this role is fundamental to ensuring that the Council has a motivated workforce to become an employer of choice. You will direct and lead a portfolio of services to ensure they are business orientated, fit for purpose, value for money and focusing on improvement for the Council.
As a member of the Councils senior leadership team and the most senior HR professional in the Council you will provide vision and direction on strategic people management issue. Delivery of functions are centred around the Council values of Collaboration, Honesty, Excellence and Fairness.
You will be responsible for:
- Supporting the Chief Executive and Leadership Team in the achievement of Council priorities.
- Providing strategic direction to Recruitment & Talent, Organisational Development and Business Partnering functions to ensure they are performing at optimum levels.
- Partnering with the senior leadership team and staff to deliver the priorities on our Borough Plan and HR Strategy in a fast paced, customer focused environment to improve the lives of Redbridge residents.
- Drive through and implement the Councils change and OD activities through HR Employee Experience services.
- Delivering key council wide projects in consultation with the Corporate Management team.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent or above.
- Full CIPD membership with substantial post qualification experience.
- Experience of working at senior management level in a customer focused HR environment ideally in large multi-cultural organisations
- Substantial experience of leading HR services to achieve service-based outcomes.
- Experience of developing and delivery HR strategy in collaboration with stakeholders.
- Substantial experience of delivering services redesign, cultural change and OD solutions in large, unionised, multi-cultural organisations.
- Working in a large, complex, trade unionised environment and evidence of fostering positive working relationships.